Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures offer unique perspectives that are acknowledged across all Key Learning Areas. The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures cross-curriculum area encompasses the concepts of Country and Place, People, Culture and Identity. St Paul's is committed to recognising, appreciating and celebrating cultural diversity. We support the learning needs of Indigenous students and understand the importance of developing strategies to address the specific needs of these students in our school.
St Pau’s is fortunate to have an Aboriginal Education Teacher to support the learning of our Indigenous students. She works in classes to provide intervention and extension while supporting teachers in their understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Our students have recently become members of our local Aboriginal Education Consultative Group AECG, providing feedback on their needs as students of our community. Being part of this group creates a sense of leadership that builds responsibility in our children.
Educational achievements of Indigenous students at St Paul's are promoted by:
- embedding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives into all aspects of the curriculum
- ensuring we identify, name and acknowledge the traditional custodians of our land
- providing safe and supportive learning environments which enhance the self-esteem and cultural identity of Indigenous students
- providing all students with an understanding of and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander traditional and contemporary cultures
- providing intensive literacy and numeracy support for Indigenous students where needed
- supporting staff to develop knowledge and understanding of the educational and cultural needs of Indigenous students
- developing Personalised Learning Plans for Indigenous students where needed
- strengthening relationships with Aboriginal families and the wider community and looking for opportunities for reconciliation and acknowledgement.